Moving overseas can make for an extraordinary adventure, particularly if you have never done it before. Whether you are moving for work, school, or even as a means of doing something dramatically different with your life, there is no question that you are embarking on an extraordinary new chapter.
At the same time, moving overseas can be filled with pitfalls and challenges. Before you even get on the plane to leave, you can find yourself dealing with one problem after another. Thankfully, there are a lot of people who have come before you. They have a number of tips that you are going to want to take advantage of.
Easy Tips For Moving Overseas
If you are considering an overseas move, it goes without saying that you’re tackling an exciting challenge. Here are six easy tips to keep in mind, which can ensure you get to focus on the more exciting aspect of moving to a new country:
• Selling your stuff: Months before you even leave, consider doing a massive spring-cleaning effort. Get rid of absolutely everything you know you’re not going to want. You can give some things away, but a yard sale, eBay, or Amazon Marketplace can give you some extra funds for the upcoming move.
• Store everything else: We’re not saying that you have to get rid of everything for good. However, at least initially, almost everything you sell should be put into a storage facility.
• Send your essentials ahead of time: You can make things a whole lot easier on yourself by sending the essentials to your new address ahead of time. You want everything to be there waiting when you get there.
• Insurance: This applies to those who are moving overseas to get a new job. Before you move to your new location, make sure you have a complete understanding of how your new company is going to handle your insurance.
• Passport: Make sure your passport is at least 6 months valid from the anticipated returning-home date. Bringing extra passport photos along can also prove to be a good idea.
• Visa: Regardless of why you are planning an overseas move, you will want to make sure your visa is in proper order.